Limberlost Orientation Tour – POSTPONED
January 9, 2022 (Sunday)
Update: January 1, 2022 – Unfortunately, given the lack of snow in the hills, WWHSTA is postponing the Limberlost Orientation Tour, scheduled for Sunday, January 9th. While there is snow in the forecast for the week leading up to the event, current conditions require a considerable amount of further snowfall before it is safe/advisable to tour for turns. We are hopeful that the weather will cooperate and that we will be able to re-schedule the event for later in the winter. Please keep an eye on the website and social media channels for updates. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Join WWHSTA president and Limberlost “local” Jeff Mann for a day tour and ski at Limberlost Forest Reserve. After a day spent with Jeff, you will have an appreciation for all of the glorious backcountry skiing that Limberlost has to offer (and we bet you will return regularly throughout the rest of the ski season!). More details to follow. Please visit the Limberlost site for directions and fill in their “safety waiver” ahead of time.
Ski Telemark & WWHSTA Day at Sir Sam’s Ski / Ride
January 8, 2022 (Saturday)
Telecurious? Join Ski Telemark and friends from WWHSTA to try out telemark skiing or brush up on your skills with a clinic from certified instructors. Sign up with Ski Telemark online for clinics and buy lift tickets in advance from Sir Sam’s. More information to come.
February 5, 2022 (Saturday)
Join us for Southern Ontario’s ONLY wilderness skiing festival. Twigfest takes place at Nickle Peak, one of WWHSTA’s main areas of exploration, and is a great opportunity to meet fellow powder hounds and get acquainted with this remote and special area deep in the Almaguin Highlands, near Algonquin Park.
Nickle Peak is a remote setting at the end of a forestry operations road, with no cell service (maybe one bar at the top of the ridge). You will need to be self-sufficient, with food, water, repair kit, first aid kit, compass and other essential equipment for a wintry day in the backcountry. Ski-in distance to the tent is 1 km, roughly 20 to 30 minutes.
Please contact the organizer, Jeff LeChef, at firstname.lastname@example.org to register and get further details. Registration is limited. For various reasons we are limiting this event to 25 people. There will be further posts on Facebook to update people on the event. If weather or snow conditions are a bust we will reschedule for the following weekend.
World Telemark Day
March 5, 2022 (Saturday)
Limberlost Forest Reserve
Celebrate spring skiing at World Telemark Day 2022, WWHSTA style! Conditions permitting, we will be based at the Top of the World Cabin at the Limberlost Forest Reserve, 11am-3pm. Participants are encouraged to dress and ski “old-school” as a nod to our telemark forebearers.
You pick your era:
- vintage wool and tweed
- hippy bark-eater style
- 80s neon
- prizes for best costumes
- Parking will be at the Buck Lake Landing lot, near the ski hill (overflow parking at the main parking lot near the entrance and ski in, roughly 300m)
- The meet-up area will be at the base of the ski hill
- We will try to gather, with social distancing, at lunch time (noon) with all attendees at the base of the ski hill
- This is a drop-in event, it’s not necessary to be there the whole time
- This event is hosted by WWHSTA, and is open both to WWHSTA members and to the public
- Please fill out this very short form, if you plan to attend
- All attendees MUST complete the Limberlost safety contract
- This is the eighth annual World Telemark Day and the second one at Limberlost! Let’s make up for missing out on the fun last year with an extra-special one this year! All winter-lovers are welcome, but if you can telemark, you should!
- There will be opportunities to explore the glades at Limberlost with experienced skiers. This will require AT or Telemark equipment and skins
- There will be some rental Altai Hok skis available for rent, if you want to explore on these awesome sticks
- If nordic skiing is your thing, there are many miles of groomed classic trails on the 10,000 acre property
- At the inaugural event there were even folks tobogganing. All are welcome.
- Cash donations to Protect Our Winters Canada gratefully accepted
- WWHSTA will follow all public health guidelines. Please self-screen prior arrival at the
- event (https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/). Maintain social distancing and be prepared to mask when unable to social distance.
- Helmets very strongly encouraged
- There are no washrooms available at this time, at Limberlost. There is no drinking water available at this time at Limberlost. Please come prepared to be self-sufficient.
- Feel free to bring your own chairs and portable seating to the base of the ski hill. It is about 100m from the Buck Lake Landing parking lot.
- Campsites are available at Limberlost, contact them for details
Tasso Highlands Orientation Tour
February 26, 2022
Get introduced to one of the backcountry ski areas we are developing and be guided by the one who knows the area – Jeff “LeChef”, WWHSTA’s VP and Director of Operations. This will be an unsupported backcountry tour so be prepared for a day out in the woods! More details to follow.
This is a member only event and we have sent an email to members about the event with registration details. Please check your junk mail if you have not received it.
Bellevue Valley Lodge Ski Trip
February 10-13, 2021
Cash in those vacation days, call in sick to work, and pack up your long-weekend bag – we are headed to Bellevue Valley Lodge! In the heart of Algoma, Bellevue benefits from fantastic lake effect snow off of Lake Superior and we are going to head west to take advantage of this!
- 5 Queen/Double
- 3 Singles
Capacity is 8 people if nobody shares a bed. If the queen beds are shared, then capacity is 13 people.
Price $75 per night X 3 nights = $225. If the group is greater than 8 people, there’s a 10% discount. With discount (8 + people) = $202.50
No meals can be supplied for groups greater than 8 people. An option is to order from local restaurants. Owners can pick-up for an extra fee.
Meal price (approximately) 3 breakfast, 2 lunches, 3 dinners.
- Breakfast $15
- Lunch $15
- Dinner $30
$150 per person
Daily excursions are $20 X 2 = $40
|Plan for 7 People or Less||Plan for 8+ People|
| Accommodation: $225|
Price per person is $468.95
Price per person is $443.50
For more information, contact the Membership Director.